As a reader I find that my summer vacation is spend devouring as many books as I can squeeze into the additional time I have. During the school year I attend classes and I am fortunate enough to have free time between classes while my son is in preschool. However, there is the matter of homework and then getting both myself and the little man home in time to cook dinner so my husband can also eat when he arrives home from work and then it’s bath time and bed time and getting up to start all over.
And so, I try to read and lounge as much as I can when that crazy schedule is at bay during the three months of summer break. Here are some things I look forward to most as a reader during the summer months:
1. Drinking my coffee and reading whatever book I am currently on and not needing to be any where. I can simple sip and turn the page without a care in the world. Granted I do make sure that my son has everything he needs before I pour my coffee and sit down to my book so I don’t have to be interrupted during that crucial first cup.
2. Taking a book outside and getting some sun. I know, cancer is bad. But I am a sucker for some good ol’ sun bathing. I lounge with my book while the little guy plays on his swing set. Lots of fun for both of us! Until the dog days of summer that is, then it is indoors to reduce the risk of heat stroke.
3. Mowing the yard while listening to an audio-book. Is that weird? I listen while doing dishes and cooking too.
4. Staying up late with a good book that I absolutely, without a doubt, can. not. put. down. I don’t have to be up early to go to class. My son is an early riser though so I can’t stay up too late, 8am is sleeping in for him.
5. And last but not least, summer releases are fun! Like summer block buster movies, there are always such great books that come out over the summer and I can’t wait to read them all.
What are your favorite things about summer vacation as a reader?